Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lessons Learned in the Gym Part 1

Lessons Learned in the Gym Part 1

If you are reading this no doubt you've been in a gym, belong to one, or at least workout to some degree whether that is exercise tapes (wow I think I just dated myself) or you are a runner.  I get bombarded all the time while I'm training myself or clients with all types of questions.  Usually those questions start out as "what's that work...well I do this for that!" or "what supplements do you think I should take?".  The list goes on  and on part of me is glad that I'm considered a trusted resource.  I've decided to sit down and write / rant about a few topics that I've come across.  

This first post is for the women out there that want to  burn fat, "tone" (not sure what exactly that means), but don't want to get big and bulky.  Let me start by saying it's not easy being big and bulky, if it were every guy in the gym would look like a beast.  It takes years of proper training, eating, and discipline to get there also it takes a special little hormone called testosterone that female lack.  

Ladies if you want to burn fat cardio is not the answer, lifting weights is.  Lifting a load causes a greater energy expenditure than mindlessly keeping up with a tredmill.  Move weight to lose weight, it's that simple.  I have a female client that has lost 2 dress sizes, lowered her cholesterol 40 points in a year and was able to stop taking her cholesterol lowering medicine and it has all been through proper exercise (ie moving/lifting weights) she has made no changes to her diet.  Can you imagine yourself having to buy new clothes that fit because your old ones are too big?  Can you imagine stopping the use of cholesterol lowering drugs and feeling better both physically and mentally?  

Ladies drop the 3 lb. dumbbells and walk away from the cardio equipment.  I know they feel safe and are familiar but I urge you to seek out a good trainer/teacher to show you how to properly move weights.  Look for one that understands how the body moves and not just sees an exercise and thinks it would get you "toned".  


No comments:

Post a Comment